Wednesday, March 24, 2010


Native New Yorker Ludwig Sander (1906 – 1975) is most remembered for his late style of painting; the bold, flat canvases of the 1960s and 1970s, two or three colors, bisected at the edge of the field by a few stark horizontal and vertical black lines. Sander studied architectural drawing in high school and then painting with Hans Hofmann in Munich in the early 1930s. He returned to New York shortly thereafter and concentrated on drawing and painting while attending classes at the Art Students League where he studied under Alexander Archipenko, George Elmer Brown, and Boardman Robinson. He supplemented these studies during the mid-1930s with night school at Columbia University, and summers in Woodstock, New York, where he investigated color theory and related subjects. After serving in WW II, Sanders moved in the artistic circle of the nascent New York School, becoming an early habitué of the Cedar Tavern, where he befriended Willem de Kooning and Jack Tworkov, among others; he participated in the watershed Ninth Street Show of 1951. After spending a summer with Franz Kline and Willem de Kooning at an old Victorian house on Montauk Highway in Bridgehampton, Sander purchased a house in Sagaponack in 1954 and remained there till his death. Sanders' works are sold at fine galleries and auction houses.

Related links:

Images: (click on images to enlarge)
Genesee VIII, oil on canvas H54 x W60 (top)
Pompeii XI, oil on canvas H60 x W54 (2nd)
Chinook VII, oil on canvas H32 x W36 (3rd)
Untitled, charcoal on paper H14 ¾ x 14 (4th)
Untitled, silkscreen H20 x W18 (bottom)

No comments:

Post a Comment